How do you get rid of a bats? We get that question all the time, and more often than not the question is coming from people filled with all sorts of misconceptions. Many of those myths are coming from family members and friends recounting their epic– and futile — battles against bats. So let us share our unique perspective on safe, humane bat removal techniques, reasons to get rid of bats in your home, and all the rest of the questions you wanted to ask.
The Bat Exclusion Process:
We do not recommend a bat removal project as a do-it-yourself project. Explaining the process in detail will shed some light on the exclusion effort and the benefits of seeking professional assistance for your own safety. Contact us for professional help to get rid of bats.
1. Identify all the areas where bats are entering the house. A bat needs only a 3/8 inch x 1 inch gap to gain entry. Locating these areas often requires ladders, ladder hooks, ladder brackets, fall protection, plenty of sealant and experience.
2. Install a valve or bat-door on the active entry points. Timing of the installation is important, considering maternity season. If you install one-way doors when non-flying juveniles are present, several things can occur. If the young can escape through the one-way door, then they will end up on the ground and expose children and pets to bites and possible rabies. If the young can not escape, then they will be separated from the adults and would die. Also, there are times when the young flood into the living space of your home.
3. Seal all non-active areas on the home. Extensive caulking may be required, because the bats are persistent. Bats will actively search for a new entrance to “their” home. Spot treatments are not recommended, because you may find yourself dealing with the bats for a number of years. Bats are very reluctant to be evicted. Experience in identifying potential entry areas pays long-term dividends in getting bats out as quickly as possible.
4. Install a bat house. Bat houses are a great added component for every bat exclusion project, giving the best of both worlds. You can still benefit from the bat’s voracious appetite for insect pests, while living comfortably with the knowledge the bats are living again in their natural habitat. There are 14 bat species that have been observed in Ohio, and all of them dine exclusively on insects. (Bats are one of the only predators of nocturnal insects.) Adding a bat house or two to your backyard habitat helps reduce human dependence on pesticides and improves crop yields on our farmlands, not to mention providing a chance to observe some of natures most proficient twilight hunters in action.
5. Wait a period of time, to allow the bats to leave. Timing varies depending on the time of year. Bats hibernate in the winter; and they are very active in the summer. Once you are certain that you have rid your home of bats, the bat-doors can be removed. Seal the previously active points.
Get Rid of Bats — Do it Yourself
Getting rid of bats by excluding them from your home is complex – and dangerous. Many homeowners find that exclusions are beyond the scope of a do-it-yourself weekend project. And they are right. Watch our video and learn more.
Reasons to Get Rid of Bats: Bats play a big role in controlling nuisance insects that harass you during every backyard barbecue, not to mention the swarms of bugs that harm agricultural efforts every year. These benefits do not outweigh the problems you have when bats are living inside your home.
- Rabies – You don’t want a rabies vector living in your home.
- Bat Bugs – These are related to bed bugs.
- Damage – You don’t want your home damaged from guano and urine.
- Bat Safety – It is safer for bats to live in their natural habitat.
Butler County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Beckett Ridge, Bethany, Blue Ball ,Excello, Fairfield, Four Bridges, Hamilton, Jacksonburg, Lemon Township, Lesourdesville, Liberty Township, Madison Township, Maud, Middletown, Miltonville, Monroe,New Miami, Olde West Chester, Overpeck, Pisgah, Port Union,Princeton, St Clair Township, Sharonville, Trenton, Tylersville, Wayne Township, West Chester Township, West Middletown, Wetherington, Woodsdale
Champaign County – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Clark County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Bethel Township, Catawba, Clifton, Crystal Lakes, Donnelsville,Enon, German Township, Green Meadows, Green Township,Harmony Township, Holiday Valley, Lawrenceville, Madison Township, Medway, Moorefield Township, New Carlisle, North Hampton, Northridge, Plattsburgh, Pleasant Township, South Charleston , South Vienna, Springfield, Tremont City.
Clermont County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Branch Hill, Edentown, Goshen Township, Jackson, Jackson Township, Lerado, Loveland, Marathon, Miami Township, Miamiville, Milford,
Modest, Moores Fork, Mount Carmel, Mount Repose, Mulberry, Newtonsville, Perintown, Stonelick Township, Union, Union Township, Wayne Township.
Clinton County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Adams Township, Blanchester, Chester Township, Clark Township,Clarksville, Green Township, Jefferson Township, Liberty Township,Lynchburg, Marion Township, Martinsville, Midland, New Vienna,Port William, Richland Township, Sabina, Union Township, Vernon Township, Washington Township, Wayne Township, Wilmington,Wilson Township
Delaware County – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Delaware, Dublin, Powell, Ashley, Berkshire, Berlin, Brown, Columbus, Concord, Galena, Genoa, Harlem, Kingston, Liberty, Marlboro, Orange, Ostrander, Oxford, Porter, Radnor, Scioto, Shawnee Hills, Sunbury, Thompson, Trenton, Troy, Westerville
Fairfield County – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Columbus, Lancaster, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg, Amanda, Baltimore, Bremen, Buckeye Lake, Canal Winchester, Carroll, Lithopolis, Millersport, Pleasantville, Rushville, Stoutsville, Sugar Grove, Tarlton, Thurston, West Rushville, Amanda, Berne, Bloom, Clearcreek, Greenfield, Hocking, Liberty, Madison, Pleasant, Richland, Rush Creek, Violet, Walnut, Fairfield Beach, Cedar Hill, Clearport, Colfax, Delmont, Drinkle, Dumontsville, Geneva, Greencastle, Hamburg, Havensport, Hooker, Horns Mill, Jefferson, Lockville, Marcy, New Salem, North Berne, Oakland
Fayette County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Bloomingburg, Concord Township, Green Township, Greenfield,Jasper Township, Jefferson Township, Jeffersonville, Madison Township, Marion Township, Milledgeville, New Holland, Octa, Paint Township, Perry Township, Union Township,Washington Court House
Franklin County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Amlin, Bexley, Blacklick, Blacklick Estates , Blendon Township,Brice, Brown Township, Canal, Clinton Township, Columbus,Darbydale, Dublin, Flint , Franklin Township, Gahanna,Galloway,Georgesville, Grandview Heights, Grove City, Groveport,Hamilton Township, Harrisburg, Hilliard, Huber Ridge, Jackson Township, Jefferson Township, Lake Darby, Lincoln Village,Lockbourne, Madison Township, Marble Cliff, Mifflin Township,Minerva Park, New Albany, New Rome, Norwich Township, Obetz,Perry Township, Pickerington, Plain Township, Pleasant Township,Prairie Township, Reynoldsburg, Riveriea, Sharon Township, Truro Township, Upper Arlington, Urbancrest, Valleyview, Washington Township, Westerville, Whitehall, Winchester, Worthington
Greene County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Bath Township, Beavercreek, Beavercreek Township, Bellbrook,Bowersville, Byron, Caesarcreek Township, Cedarville, Cedarville Township, Centerville, Clifton, Fairborn, Huber Heights ,Jamestown, Jefferson Township, Kettering, Miami Township, New Jasper Township, Oldtown, Ross Township, Silvercreek Township, Spring Valley, Spring Valley Township,Sugarcreek Township, Wilberforce, Xenia, Xenia Township, Yellow Springs
Hamilton County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Addyston, Amberley Village, Anderson Township, Arlington Heights,Blue Ash, Blue Jay, Brecon, Bridgetown, Camp Dennison, Cheviot, Cincinnati, Cleves, Coldstream, Colerain Township,Columbia Township, Concorde Hills, Covedale, Crosby Township,Deer Park, Delhi Hills, Delhi Township, Delshire, Dent, Dillonvale,Dry Ridge, Dry Run, Dunlap, Elizabethown, Elmwood Place,Evendale, Fairfax, Fairfield, Finneytown, Forest Park, Forestville,Fruit Hill, Glendale, Golf Manor, Granview, Green Township,Greenhills, Groesbeck, Harrison, Hooven,Kenwood, Lincoln Heights, Lockland, Loveland, Loveland Park, Mack, Maderia, Mariemont, Miami Heights, Miami Township, Miamitown, Milford, Mill Creek Township, Monfort Heights, Montgomery , Mount Healthy, Mount Healthy Heights, New Baltimore, New Burlington, New Haven, Newtown, North Bend,North College Hill, Northbrook, Northgate, Norwood, Plainville,Pleasant Hills, Pleasant Run, Pleasant Run Farm, Reading,Remington , Rossmoyne, Salem Heights, Sharonville, Shawnee,Sherwood, Silverton, Sixteen Mile Stand, Skyline Acres, Springdale,Springfield Township, St Bernard, Sycamore Township, Symmes Township, Taylor Creek, Terrace Park, Turpin Hills, Village of Indian Hill, White Oak, Whitewater Township, Woodlawn, Wyoming
Knox County (west of 13) – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Licking County (west of 13) – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Alexandria, Beechwood Trails, Bennington Township, Buckeye Lake, Burlington Township, Etna Township, Granville South, Granville Township, Granville, Harbor Hills, Harrison Township, Hartford Township, Hartford, Heath, Hebron, Jacksontown, Jersey Township, Johnstown, Kirkersville, Liberty Township, Mckean Township, Monroe Township, New Albany, Pataskala, Reynoldsburg, St Albans Township, Union Township
Madison County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Amity, Big Plain, Canaan Township, Chenoweth, Choctaw Lake,Chrisman, Darby Township, Deer Creek Township, Fairfield Township, Florence , Gillivan, Jefferson Township, Kileville,Kiousville, Lafayette, Lilly Chapel, London, McClimanville, Midway,Monroe Township, Mount Sterling, Newport, Oak Run Township,Paint Township, Plain city, Pleasant Township,Plumwood, Range Township, Resaca, Rosedale, Rupert, South Solon, Summerford, Tradersville, Union Township, West Jefferson,Wrightsville
Miami County – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Montgomery County – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Brookville, Butler Township, Carlisle, Centerville, Chautauqua, Clay Township, Clayton, Dayton, Englewood, Farmersville, German Township, Germantown, Harrison Township, Huber Heights, Jackson Township, Jefferson Township, Kettering, Miami Township, Miamisburg, Moraine, New Lebanon, Oakwood, Perry Township, Phillipsburg, Pyrmont, Riverside, Springboro, Trotwood, Union, Vandalia, Verona, Washington Township, West Carrollton
Morrow County (South of 229) – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Pickaway County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Ashville, Circleville, Circleville Township, Commercial Point, Darby Township, Darbyville, Deer Creek Township, Harrisburg, Jackson Township, Logan Elm Village, Madison Township,Monroe Township, Muhlenberg Township, New Holland, Orient,Perry Township, Pickaway Township, Salt Creek Township, Scioto Township, South Bloomfield, Tarlton, Walnut Township, Washington Township, Wayne Township, Williamsport
Union County (south of 347) – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Allen Center, Allen Township, Arnold, Bridgeport, Chuckery, Darby Township, Dipple, Dover Township, Dublin, Irwin, Jerome Township, Leesburg Township, Liberty Township, Lunda, Magnetic Springs, Marysville, Milford Center, Millcreek Township, New California, New Dover, Plain City, Paris Township, Peoria, Pharisburg, Pottersburg, Raymond, Taylor Township, Unionville Center, Washington Township, Watkins
Warren County, OH – Bat Removal and Bat Control
Blanchester, Butlerville, Carlisle, Clearcreek Township, Corwin,Deerfield Township, Franklin, Franklin Township, Hamilton Township, Harlan Township, Harveysburg, Lebanon, Loveland,Maineville, Mason, Massie Township, Middletown, Monroe, Morrow,Pleasant Plain, Salem Township, South Lebanon, Springboro,Turtlecreek Township, Union Township, Washington Township,Wayne Township, Waynesville